My last flight from San Francisco to Mumbai via Istanbul was rather exciting even though I was on a one-stop flight and my luggage had been checked to the final destination. I had a two-hour transit at Istanbul airport, which seemed to be plenty of time to make the connection. Unfortunately my flight from San Francisco left late due to a rain storm in the Bay Area. That left me only 20 minutes at Istanbul to rush from arrival gate to the departure gate for my connection.
Whether traveling on your own or as a travel companion with a senior traveler, light hearted conversation make the journey go faster. However since you will be together for a few hours, here are some do’s and don’ts.
Regardless whether you are assisting a senior traveler as their travel companion or traveling on your own, this is an opportunity for improving your social awareness skills and listening to the life experiences of others. Here are my seven conversation starters.
1. “Good morning, I am Sam”
Before the Aircraft Leaves the Gate
1. Find the seats for both of you
2. Remind the traveler to remove the comfort items like water bottle, a book or a shawl from the carry-on
3. Help the traveler put their carry-on bag in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of them
4. Stow away your carry-on bag
5. Make sure you and the traveler to put the seat belt on and keep it fastened for as much of the flight as possible
6. Acquaint them with the aircraft safety card and point out the emergency exits
The Chinese Lunar New Year is an important festival in China and also many East Asian and South-East Asian countries. It falls on January 28 this year. 2017 will be the year of the Rooster in the Chinese Zodiac. Expect parades, arts and crafts fairs, cooking shows as well as traditional lion dances and lots of music in all the cities during the fifteen day- long festival.
1. Check-in online and select your seat in advance if available
2. For international flight, arrive at least 2.5 hours ahead of departure time
3. For domestic flight, arrive at least 1.5 hours ahead of departure time
4. Meet your traveler at the appointed location and time