Adjustment Tips for Family Members Visiting USA
The holiday season is around the corner and it is time to meet our family and friends. Many of us living in the USA have families living abroad like China, India and other South East Asian countries. We often invite our family members residing abroad to come to the USA and spend more time with us, especially our grandparents, parents or very close relatives. Sometimes it becomes hard for them to adjust to the fast paced lifestyle here in the USA.
In Hindu, guests are considered Gods, as expressed in the saying “Atithi Devo Bhava” which means “the guest is equivalent to God.” Therefore, we believe that it is our responsibility and duty to keep our guests happy and feel at home during their long stay with us. Here are some tips to help you and your visiting family members adjust quickly.
- Make proper arrangements for their travel to USA. If you are inviting your elderly parents or relatives, you can use tripcompanion.com to find a suitable travel companion to help them during the long journey.
- Get a good travel and health insurance policy for your parents/relatives. Some might have health issues that need proper care and attention. So choose your travel/health insurance wisely.
- Make proper arrangements for their accommodation. If necessary, buy a new bed or prepare a room for them so that they have some space of their own. Provide your guests with several light-weight comfortable blankets or quilts so that they can layer them as needed for warmth and a good night’s sleep. Ensure that the basic amenities in your home are working such as heating and electricity so that they do not face any difficulties.
- Take your parents out and show them the nearest pharmacy or grocery store (if available) within walking distance of your home. This will help them in case they need to get something in your absence.
- Take care of their entertainment, like subscribing to Hindi channels or other south-east Asian channels. If your parents are tech-savvy, then you can share a laptop or computer with them.
- Schedule some get-togethers with your local friends and invite your parents/relatives to the party. They will be very happy to meet new friends and interact with them.
- Take your parents to a local Hindu temple or Church. Most temples or churches will have many events scheduled and your parents can participate or volunteer in those events. This will not only help them spend some quality time but also enable them to interact with other people.
- Arrange vacations to some new places with your parents. They will love to visit new places and create new memories.
- Take them to the mall for shopping or eat out and try new cuisines. This will make them very happy.
- Last but not least, spend some time with them. They are here to spend time with you. Hence, take some time off from your work and busy schedule. Your kids should also interact with your parents so that they can also get to know their grandparents and other relatives.
So go ahead and book the tickets and invite your parents/relatives to the USA for the holidays. If you need someone to help your parents with luggage, food or other help, consider hiring a travel companion from tripcompanion.com. Trust me – it will be a great relief for you and a great help to your parents.